“Pass out at three, wake up at ten, go out to eat, then do it again, man I love college”- Asher Roth
Uhh… Story of my life.
Exams, parties, boys, booze, and friends explains college in a nutshell. Freshman year was the best year of my life! Meeting new people, moving out of my parents house, and a change of scenery was the life. My campus was beautiful, the people were beautiful, and the food (<—-gained 20 lbs) was excellent. I did not have any complaints whatsoever. Did I mention class? Ok, ok, ok. I skipped a few classes here and there, and did not think anything of it but today, I can honestly say that was a bad choice. I thought of everything to skip class: What a beautiful day! Let’s sit outside, Oh my gosh is there something going on in the union? Let’s go!, You last saw him by whose dorm?! Let’s stalk him. Seriously, my mind was not where it was supposed to be. If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. I live by this quote every day (not then, but now. ha).
After one year away from home, my mother decided to pull me out of the University and transfer me to a two-year college (Ju-Co). I became extremely depressed, I lost all of the freshman-15 that I gained while away from home, I lost all of the friends I made while attending the Univeristy (they were not my friends to begin with), and on the bright side I became a bit more focused on my studies. My senior year of high school I would look down on people that would attend a two-year college because of what everyone would say. I did not realize that it would be the best choice I would make in my entire life!
I am not trying to persuade you to go to a two-year college, but to simply persuade you to make the right choices while attending a four-year college/university. TRUST ME! As of now, I graduate from Junior College in December 2014! Hard work pays off, and I am considering Universities out of state. God is so good!
HOW TO SURVIVE COLLEGE:
- GO TO CLASS
- MAKE NEW FRIENDS (CAREFULLY!)
- JOIN CLUBS/ORGANIZATIONS
- GO TO CLASS
- PEOPLE ARE ALWAYS WATCHING. YOU NEVER KNOW WHO IS LOOKING AT YOU, SO GUARD YOUR REPUTATION!
- CALL YOUR MOM OR DAD. ADVICE, KIND WORDS, AND JUST THE SOUND OF THEIR VOICE WILL MAKE YOU EXTREMELY HAPPY!
- ASK QUESTIONS. THERE IS ALWAYS THAT ONE ‘KNOW IT ALL’ IN CLASS… IGNORE THAT PERSON AND FOCUS ON YOU!
- DRAMA? WE ARE YOUNG ADULTS. KEEP IT CLASSY!
- UNION FOOD AND CAFETERIA FOOD. YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT, AND THE FRESHMAN 15 IS REAL. LOVE YOURSELF!
- PROVE EVERYONE WRONG. PROVE YOUR PARENTS WRONG, PROVE YOUR PEERS WRONG, PROVE YOURSELF WRONG! THIS IS THE BEGINNING OF A NEW CHAPTER IN YOUR LIFE!
It is ok to mess up. Life is about do overs and learning from your mistakes. I learned from my mistakes and I do not regret anything! Yeah, I miss the Univeristy, but God has a plan for me and he makes no mistakes!